I absolutely adore pumpkin pie, or as Mr.S calls it good ole punkin pie. I probably don’t have to describe its silky and lush creaminess to anybody, as most probably everyone and their uncle has eaten a slice (or three) around this time of year. But buyer beware. Do not, and I repeat, do not fall into the trap of buying a glossy, prebaked, boxed pie from the bakery section at the grocery store. When really, all it takes is a couple of cans of shelf stable ingredients, lots of cinnamon, and a pre-baked pie crust. Trust me, because I just spent almost 4 hours baking “the perfect pumpkin pie” from scratch, and in a double-blind taste test, it sure didn’t beat a Libby’s pumpkin pie that took only 15 minutes prep time.
1. no messy pumpkin cleaning…all those seeds, skin and stringy slime
2. the total cost of ingredients is less than $4.50!!
3. I can prep one of these babies while cooking 2 other dishes, writing a paper, and with 1 eye closed… ok so i exaggerate…
4. …but yes, it is that easy!
5. the finished product is a bright golden orange that sure beats a dusty looking brown thing, made from scratch
6. it tastes like heeeaaven
So instead of posting a less-than-perfect recipe for pumpkin pie, here is Libby’s, a tried and true favorite, with a few touch-ups made by yours truly.
“Touched Up” Libby’s Pumpkin Pie
yields 8 servings
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 15-oz. can Libby’s pumpkin puree
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
1 9-inch frozen deep-dish pie shell
1. Heat oven to 425F. Pre-bake pie shell for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside, on a baking sheet (for easy transfer into the oven later).
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together all the ingredients until well blended. Pour into the pie shell.
3. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350F. Bake for 25-35 minutes more, or until given a light shake, the center does not jiggle but is set. Remove and let cool for 2 hours.
4. Serve chilled or at room temperature, with fresh whipped cream.